Friday, March 29, 2013

The Jim Carroll Band "Catholic Boy" (Bonus Video Good Friday)

It's Good Friday.  I'm a Catholic boy.  As such, I wanted to post something appropriately Catholicized for Bonus Video Good Friday.  The first tune that came to mind was Jeff Buckley's rendition of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah," but that seemed a little too obvious.  (Obvious or not, however, I consider that track off of Buckley's Grace album to be the single best song that originated in the 1990's.  Yeah, I know that's a Big Statement and even a noted rock authority like my good friend Kyle Garabadian has definite reservations about the choice, but that's my pick for Cream Of The 90's Rock Crop.)  (Buckley's "Hallelujah" has, of course, been hopelessly overexposed, overplayed, overused and abused in countless movies and T.V. shows, but that doesn't mean it's not a great track.)  (Plus, for a song about sex it's used in an awful lot of funeral scenes.)

Anyway, then I searched YouTube for a live version of Jim Carroll's "Catholic Boy," but couldn't find one, so we'll have to settle for this.  R.I.P. Jim.......



inspirational verse; every lyric line of this song is truly great, but I hadda pick just one;
"I was a Catholic boy /  Redeemed through pain, not through joy" - Jim Carroll, 1980


ps. By the way, for those of you scoring at home, "Catholic Boy" is also
the title track of one of the seven best rock & roll debut albums of all time.   
(The other six; The Velvet Underground, The Modern Lovers, The New York Dolls,
Elliott Murphy, Lloyd Cole & The Commotions, and The Strokes.) 
(And yeah, four of those six are from New York City, I do find that problematic.)






  

No comments:

Post a Comment