Friday, October 4, 2013

Winter Hours "Roadside Flowers" (Bonus Video Friday)

My theme for Bonus Video Fridays in October was originally intended to be Autumn Songs.  However, as I type this October 4th blog installment it's projected to be sunny and 85 degrees in Columbus, Ohio.  This is not autumn weather, and I find it hard to concentrate on leaves-are-falling tunes when I could just as easily be running Elliott Murphy's cover of The Beach Boys' "Surfin' U.S.A." from an old Max's Kansas City live tape I have.

I don't want my readership to think I'm going to go all ecological or political on you (since that's what ruined Rolling Stone as a music magazine back in the day) but it's just a simple fact that global warming is happening.  It's just a simple fact that growing up in Ohio in the 1950's and 60's it was not routinely 70-degree weather all through September and it was certainly not 85 degrees at the beginning of October.  When I walked to St. Aloysius anytime beyond the second week of school I was wearin' a jacket.  I don't wanna come off all Drunk Uncle from Saturday Night Live Weekend Update here, I'm just sayin' - Ohio's getting warmer all the time.

Anyway, I can't remember why I bought Winter Hours' first record back in 1989.  I couldn't possibly have heard it on Columbus radio in 1989 and I doubt they were on MTV, so it must have been a review in Musician magazine.  (I was long done with the likes of Rolling Stone or Creem back then, Mojo and Uncut hadn't been invented yet, and Spin was already quite useless.)  Maybe I found out somewhere that Lenny Kaye produced the record, I really don't know.  But it's a good laid-back record (and those of you who know me well or have read this blog extensively KNOW I don't normally tolerate laid-back) and "Roadside Flowers" is a great Autumn Song.........




inspirational verse;
"Passin' through the small towns with their clapboards houses beaten down /
I could hear a distant church bell ring /
There beneath the maple trees it all comes rushin' back to me /
A simple thing forgotten long ago"
- Joseph Marques, 1989 (w/ Michael Carlucci & Bob Perry)  



© 2013 Ricki C.

No comments:

Post a Comment