Sunday, September 1, 2013

This Blog Will End Four Months From Now: September 1st, 2013 blog

Today is Sunday, September 1st, 2013.  This blog will end on December 31st, 2013, four months from now.  We're already WAY overdue.  It was supposed to last from January 1st to June 30th, 2012, when I turned 60 years old, but I was without a computer for two of those months, and then on the road with Watershed for all of June, so it got artificially extended.

People who know me well will tell you that I'm always complaining about American TV shows that go on too long, that overstay their welcome.  (The Gilmore Girls, Heroes, and How I Met Your Mother come immediately to mind.)  I've long thought that American TV should be more like British television: where shows have a limited run and there's a beginning, a middle, and an end.  How much better was Ricky Gervais' The Office than that Steve Carrell trainwreck?

And let's face facts, part of the reason this blog exists in 2013 was to force me to get I Love Distortion out of various notebooks and off of various notes on napkins and to get it all written down in some final form.

Therefore, in the four months we have left of Growing Old With Rock & Roll, if there's anything anyone out there would like me to write about, if there are any stories my rock & roll friends & brethren think I've missed, if there are any parts one, two or three that readers think need parts four, five and six: in the words of Terry Reid (by way of Cheap Trick) "Speak Now Or Forever Hold Your Peace."

I suppose it's possible I might begin another blog to follow this one.  (January, February & March get pretty long out here in Ohio.)  Or maybe I'll just write full-time for Colin Gawel's www.pencilstorm.com that I occasionally contribute pieces to now, but one way or another Growing Old With Rock & Roll is coming to an end in four months.  Let me know now what you want to read about between now and then.


© 2013 Ricki C.


2 comments:

  1. How about a detailed history of TEENAGE RAMPAGE complete with scanned issues in their entirety and personal asides regarding the creation and execution of the zine??? A follower of seventies-styled punk erudition like mrself really could sink myself into something like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm, Christopher, this is not a bad idea. Teenage Rampage ran from 1976 to early 1978, six issues total, I still have three of them (the first, fifth & sixth) complete. Oddly I have no memory whatsoever of the second, third & fourth issues. (I was still drinking and getting high in those years.)

      Watch for at least extensive excerpts - if not complete issues - in September and/or October after the Growing Old With Rock & Roll I.T. Department (by which I mean my lovely wife Debbie) can get them scanned in and ready to rock.

      Thanks for the suggestion. Anybody else?

      Delete