Friday, April 12, 2013

The Peter Dayton Band "Stuck On The Same Refrain" (Bonus Video Friday)


(This blog is partially reprinted from one of the very first entries I posted - January 13th, 2012 -
accompanying a video by The Neighborhoods, but the text fit so well with today's selection I decided
I couldn't really improve on it.  I'm not running out of  material, I just thought it was a good fit.)


I have this matchbook. 

It’s from the Terrace Motel, 1650 Commonwealth Avenue in Boston, Massachusetts.  I used to stay at that motel on weekends all through the early 1980’s when I worked at Ross Laboratories in Columbus, Ohio.  Ross Laboratories was simultaneously the highest-paying AND easiest job I ever had.  It was so high-paying I used to fly to Boston on weekends just to see bands.  (Plus I'd just gotten divorced somewhere right along in there, so I had a LOT of free time on my hands.)  I’d leave my stockroom job on Friday afternoon, go directly to Port Columbus, fly into Logan Airport in Boston, grab the Red Line subway, transfer to the Green Line, and settle in at the Terrace Motel, my home away from home.  (In retrospect I find that extravagance and sense of motivation amazing.  Nowadays I sometimes find it INCREDIBLY difficult to get myself off the couch to see bands at clubs as close as six miles away.  Sometimes I hate growing old with rock & roll.)

But I digress, let me repeat; I USED TO FLY TO BOSTON ON WEEKENDS JUST TO SEE BANDS! 
Fortunately, during that time an airline called People’s Express had one-way fares to Boston for $38.  YOU COULD FLY ROUND-TRIP TO BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS, FOR $76.  ON THE WEEKEND! Life was good.  Admittedly it wasn’t exactly luxury travel, more like Greyhound if buses could fly.  (People's Express didn't even have chairs in their boarding area, you just had to sit on the floor or lean against the wall.  Even Greyhound has chairs in their terminals, though you might not necessarily want to actually SIT on them.)  One Friday night, and I swear to God I am not joking or making this up, a gentleman of middle-eastern persuasion tried to bring a live chicken on the plane.  After much animated discussion (not very much of which was conducted in English) he was dissuaded.  He left the waiting area, went out to the parking garage for about two minutes, returned sans chicken and boarded the flight.  I don’t know to this day what happened to that animal and I don’t want to know.

Anyway, this was one of the bands I saw on one of those weekend trips, and have never forgotten.....




inspirational verse; "There's a girl left all alone / So I let my spirit roam /
Knowing I'll always be in her heart / 'Cause I loved her" - Peter Dayton, 1981



© 2013 Ricki C.



No comments:

Post a Comment