Friday, February 22, 2013

The Del-Lords "I'm Gonna Be Around" (Bonus Video Friday)

The pride of the Bronx, New York - Scott Kempner, Eric Ambel, Manny Caiati & Frank Funaro - kickin' out the jams in faraway Sweden, making the world safe for American rock & roll.  Why is it that Europeans always seem to have so much more love & respect for our rockers than America does?  (re: Elliott Murphy,  The Flamin' Groovies, The Real Kids, to name just three.)



inspirational verse; "When the country is one big shopping mall / And some slimy foreign
cartel runs it all / And every song that you hear on the radio has the same sound /
I'm gonna be around" - Scott Kempner, 1988



ps. I saw The Del-Lords one time in 1985 or so at a venue very much like the one in this video - a 1300-capacity club in Columbus, Ohio, called The Newport Music Hall (previously the Columbus Agora, ahhh good times).  Towards the end of the set I said to the girl I was with, "Watch me make the lead singer crack up."  I got a Sharpie and a big piece of cardboard from the sound guy and wrote "D.F.F.D." on it.  (Scott Kempner was a founding member of N.Y.C's The Dictators, whose motto was "Dictators Forever, Forever Dictators.")  I pulled myself part-way up on the stage and tossed the cardboard right in front of Kempner's microphone stand.  He glanced down, started laughing and gave me a big thumbs up.  Del-Lords Forever, Forever Del-Lords. 


© 2013 Ricki C.
    


No comments:

Post a Comment